beaTunes News

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Update: beaTunes 5.1.1

Most of the changes in this update are based on user-feedback. So yes! Please let me know what bugs you. Often small changes can make a huge difference.

Version 5.1.1 introduces limited support for importing and exporting Serato crates. Limited, as the way crates are stored is actually quite unusual. Apparently a single crate can be spread over multiple volumes (devices), which is not supported (yet). Anyhow, to import a crate via File -> Import Playlist, you will have to find its crate file, which is typically located in a folder named _Serato_. To export a playlist as crate, you will need to make sure that all songs in your playlist are stored on the same device and then save the .crate file in the appropriate _Serato_ folder. To initiate the export, just use the regular playlist export functionality, i.e. right-click on a playlist and select Export Playlist..., then choose CRATE (see screenshot). Serato should pick up the new crate during the next restart.

There are a bunch of other small improvements and fixes. For details see the list below. As always, you can download the new version from the download section of the website.

Changes in 5.1.1

  • Added New Folder to context menu.
  • Added ability to import multiple playlists at once.
  • Added (limited) ability to import and export Serato crates.
  • Improved volume adjustment latency.
  • Improved sync speed for iTunes collections with many non-music items.
  • Improved UX of scan mode.
  • Updated Get Info detection algorithms.
  • Fixed premature playback end after seek.
  • Fixed playlist selection on tree drop.
  • Fixed issue in prominent scan of short tracks.
  • Moved to CASampledSP 0.9.14.
  • Moved to MFSampledSP 0.9.9.
  • Moved to FFSampledSP 0.9.23.

Labels: , ,

Sunday, February 11, 2018

From the trenches: Import play counts from Traktor

Here comes another little beaTlet that might prove handy for NI Traktor users: ImportTraktorDatesAndCounts. As might be obvious from the title, it allows you to import Traktor's play counts and last played dates into beaTunes (and thus iTunes, if you are using an iTunes-based collection). The idea is that the data may help with playlist creation. You can find some details about the beaTlet in this discussion. The latest version can be found on GitHub.

Labels: , , ,

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

beaTunes for taps: offer ends today!

Last chance! beaTunes for taps will end today!

If you're interested in a reward license, start tapping.

Labels: , ,

Saturday, January 27, 2018

From the trenches: remove leading/trailing whitespace

It's not an official inspection, but a good example for how some things can be done quick & dirty with the plugin API: a little RemoveWhitespace beaTlet. Check out this help forum post for details. The source code can also be found in the GitHub repo under groovy.

Have a great weekend!

Labels: , , ,

Thursday, January 25, 2018

beaTunes for Taps: Offer ends soon!

Just to give you an update: On average every segment has been tapped more than 3.5 times and all of them at least twice. This is not quite the amount of data I'd like to have, but it's nevertheless soon time to stop collecting and start with the evaluation.

So, if you're interested in earning a beaTunes license, start tapping before 1/31/2018, as that's the official end date for the offer.


Labels: , ,

Thursday, January 11, 2018

Update: beaTunes 5.1

Thanks to the help of some very engaged users I was able to figure out a couple of performance issues with humongous libraries. For those libraries, both startup performance and general usage should be much improved. Furthermore, I have updated a number of built-in databases to improve similar genre and artist matching. And of course, as part of the general, ongoing maintenance, I've fixed some bugs I had become aware of.

As always, you can download the new version from the download section of the website.

Changes in 5.1.0

  • Re-organized index structure for better performance.
  • Improved opening time for Get Info dialog.
  • Improved view caching for large collections.
  • Improved docs for estimate mood task.
  • Improved efficiency when removing tracks from playlist.
  • Improved notification behavior.
  • Improved table rendering performance.
  • Added smooth table/tree scrolling (Mac only).
  • Adjusted Home/End key behavior in playlists.
  • Fixed issue with disabled context menu actions.
  • Fixed hang at initial song selection in very large playlist.
  • Fixed delay when switching to very large playlist.
  • Fixed potential NPE during synchronization of mp3s.
  • Fixed drag-import of folders.
  • Fixed potential NPE in synched key/tempo matching.
  • Fixed move to trash on Windows.
  • Fixed chart cover images aliasing.
  • Fixed Beatport previews (403 error).
  • Updated built-in Discogs database.
  • Updated Wikidata-based genre ontology.
  • Updated DBpedia-based genre ontology.
  • Updated to JRuby
  • Updated to Groovy 2.4.13-indy.

Labels: , , , , ,

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Tapping: Intermediate Results 2

And the gigantic tapping continues! On average, each of the more than 4,000 track segments has now been tapped twice! And almost all of them have been tapped at least once. That means we're close to 100% coverage, with many segments being backed by multiple people.

As you know, this still is not quite enough data, but we're getting there. So please keep at it! Reward licenses are still offered for every 110 segments that have been tapped. Here are the details.